20 April 2012

2012 So Far

I haven't written anything since the end of 2011. 2012 has been a hugely grand year so far.

On the evening of January 1, the man I love, the one who inspired the quest in the first place, became the man I will spend the rest of my life with. He asked me to be his wife. It was a very low key proposal, but it was certainly a perfect fit for all of the milestones in our life so far.

We had spent the weekend with his parents at their house on Lake Erie. It was a relaxing New Years, and we had fun. When we got home that evening, we changed into our comfy clothes and sat on the couch. He began talking about his family, and an awesome conversation he'd had with his Mom on Christmas. The topic shifted to his great grandmother. Not long before she passed away, she'd given his Mom something with the promise that it go to him when he was ready. It turned out to be her engagement ring. He pulled it from his pocket and asked me to be his wife.

I said yes. And cried. And danced around, saying "We're getting maaaarrieeeed!!!"

We hit the ground running as far as planning goes. First, we threw around some dates. We were wishing for this coming Autumn, but money wasn't going to cooperate. We then thought of March 2013, because we didn't want Spring or Summer, and we didn't want to wait until Autumn 2013. We then came up with the brilliant idea of a day after the apocalypse wedding on 22 December. We had found a possible venue by that point, and they had it available. Before we went to look at the place, his family pointed out that people may not be able to travel that close to Christmas (since almost everyone is traveling). We then checked with the venue about 29 December, which was also available. So now, we'll be having a week after the apocalypse wedding!

In addition to the venue, we've got a caterer, a photographer, and a "dj". We decided to do the music ourselves, and save the $800-$1k it would have cost for a dj. We are still up in the air as to the original sound system due to some family issues, but we'll figure it out. We've also got a place for rentals, I just have to sit down and figure out what we need.

I'm going dress shopping in about a month when my Mom comes to visit. I'm actually excited about this part. I'm not typically very girly, but I love trying on dresses. This is one of the more traditional things I'm doing for this wedding. I just want to find something I love, and feel good in.

Oh, and did I mention I also started school in mid-January?! This semester will be done in a few weeks. I'm doing pretty well so far. Hoping for at least a 3.5 gpa for the first semester. More on that later, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment